- Getting to know the local children and them getting to know you!
- Become part of the community in a beautiful and remote part of North Sumatra.
- Explore the pristine wild rainforests, mountains and rivers.
- Create an environmentally friendly example site for sustainable farming.
- Trek to see some of the fantastic wildlife of the area such as orangutans, gibbons, Thomas leaf monkeys and more.
- This volunteer program is especially suitable for: Aged 18+, Singles, Couples, Families, Groups and 50+
Hutan Subur is an Eco Tourism guest house on the Border of the Gunung Leseur National Park in Sumatra. The site borders an undisturbed wildlife corridor which allows free movement of Orangutan and other animals from the National Park. Until recently, this site has been a rubber plantation. Our goals are to repair the tree canopy to become a sustainable forestry site where we can also grow all the fruits and vegetables needed for the guest house.
Alongside our activities on-site at Hutan Subur we also fund two after-school programs where we teach local children English and we teach them about the environment and how to care for it. The classrooms have local teachers and attract about 20-40 students per lesson.
Maintaining our tree nursery and planting out trees when they are ready
Caring for newly planted trees around the property
Maintaining and growing the fruit and vegetable garden
Managing waste created at the site
Assisting our neighbouring farmers
Helping with English and environmental lessons at our after school classrooms.